Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Short Stories

Currently reading:  Dubliners (Signet Classics)

Dear Reader,

I am still becoming accustomed to working on a sales floor all day.  Some days it feels like it is getting easier, other days it doesn't at all.  However I need to start working writing back into the routine if I ever want to get published.

A while ago I mentioned that writing a novel terrified me.  The length and amount of details needed for a novel is daunting.  I am reminded of my first attempts at writing on my first computer.  I struggled at size 20 font to fill more than two or three pages worth of story, wanting to drag out the story to make it longer.  I am always overwhelmed with the idea of filling a novel with a story.

At the same time, short stories aren't really for me either.  Many suggest that to be the best writer you should write what you prefer to read, and I much prefer novels to most short stories.  There are exceptions to any rule, but I prefer to be able to lose myself in a novel for hours on end than to read a short story that ends much too quickly.  I enjoy taking the time to get to know the character and the world, whether the pacing is leisurely or fast paced.  Many short stories just do not do it for me, I just get my bearings in the story when it's over.

So I suppose I should suck it up and brave the novel.  I might not get it right the first time.  It might revise down to a short story in length when done, but between setting out for the brevity of a short story, or facing the daunting task of a novel, I'd prefer tackling a novel.

Which do you prefer reading?

Until next time,
Rose

No comments:

Post a Comment