Pages

Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Book Talk: A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That

Currently Reading: In the Woods

Reader,

I've done it again.  They say you need to do things over twenty times before they become habits, so maybe in thirty weeks I'll be posting regularly without having to think about it.  Until then, I'm trying out a new calendar, so hopefully I'll stop promising to post more regularly and start actually doing so.

A Girl Becomes a Comma Like That
by Lisa Glatt

Rachel Sparks is in her thirties, a successful college professor, and her mother has breast cancer.  At the core of this novel is Rachel's struggles to cope with her mother's illness.  Surrounding Rachel's story are the stories of other girls struggling with men, sex, infidelity, and cancer. 


Why I started reading: I was wandering through the library looking for any books th at caught my eye, and this one did.  Not only is the title catching, but the image is the perfect compliment to such a catchy title.


Why I finished: The stories of different women drew me in.  I was intrigued by the connections made between Rachel and the other women.


Writer's Take:  One very interesting aspect of this book, whether you enjoy the story or not, is the choice of perspective.  Rachel Sparks' story is a first person narrative.  Breaking up her story are third person narratives.  This shift in perspectives makes for a very interesting read, allowing the reader to keep in touch with the main character's "I" while reading the third person "she"s.


Who I'd recommend this to: Women who don't mind a look at the grittier aspects of being a woman.

 

Until next time,
Rose 

No comments:

Post a Comment