Pages

Friday, August 6, 2010

Book Talk Friday- The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Currently Reading: The Magicians: A Novel

Reader,

Thanks to everyone clicking on my google adverts.  It takes only seconds and it helps pay for coffee which makes this writer happy.  

Today is the first ever book talk Friday!  Feel free to leave me feedback so I can continue to improve the blog.

The adoration of Jenna Fox
by Mary E. Pearson

Jenna Fox has no memory of the past year.  Jenna Fox has no memory of her past life. She is told her name is Jenna Fox, and she was in an accident a year ago.  Her memories will come with time, she is told.  So why is she a walking encyclopedia of facts not relating to her?

Why I started the book: I had been hearing bits and pieces about the book on and off for a while.  What really caught my attention was this book trailer.  After hearing the last line, I had to read it.

Why I finished the book: The exploration of identity and humanity throughout the novel blew me away.  What makes someone human?  How much can you take away before you aren't human anymore?

Writer's Take: One thing that caught my eye about this book is how little the original mystery matters to the overall story.  At the beginning of the book, the reader should notice that something is most definitely wrong.  An assumption would be that the suspense of solving the mystery would be the heart of the book.  Instead the main mystery is solved at the halfway point, leaving the second half of the book for the emotional consequences of the revelation.  This is a different take on the traditional Mystery/Suspense thriller in which the solution is the last quarter or less of the book.

Who I'd suggest it to: Those of any age who are struggling to figure out who they are in life.  Also those who like philosophy and/or ethical dilemmas would enjoy this book.

Remember, if this book interests you, you can buy it from Amazon to help support the reviewer. 

Until next time,
Rose 

No comments:

Post a Comment