Pages

Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Talk Friday: The Magicians

Currently Reading: Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)

Reader,

The Magicians: A Novel
by Lev Grossman

Quentin Coldwater has always been an overachiever at school.  He's worked hard all his life to ultimately attain the "perfect life."  Perfect according to who?  Quentin has always imagined there was something more.  Most children read about Fillory (Grossman's Narnia) as a child, but Quentin was obsessed with it.  He always knew he was destined for something less mundane than suburbian perfection.  


Why I started the book: Rachelle Gardner mentioned in a post a few months ago that the book caught her eye, and after reading the synopsis, it caught my eye too.
 
Why I finished the book:  Although there were a few things that drew me away from the book, I would have to say the thing that kept me reading was the need to know if Quentin could ever find happiness where he was. 

Writer's Take:  From this I think one can learn a lot about pacing.  Not necessarily good pacing, as I didn't much like it, but some people might.  In my humble opinion Grossman spends far too much time in the first section, or far too little in the second, third, and fourth.  The first doesn't feel long or drawn out, per say, but the first half of the book is Book I and the rest has Books II through IV.  This can leave the reader feeling unbalanced.

In spite of it's flaws, the novel is actually a well thought out exploration of pessimism, happiness, and leaves the reader to interpret the last line.  Is the glass half full, or half empty?  Endings like this can be unsettling, but Grossman does the ending well.  It's not cheesy, or corny, but does send a chill down your spine and leaves you wondering.


Who I'd Recommend this too:  Phule, Rok, Valkyrie, those who enjoy studies of emotion, psychology, those who enjoy character driven Urban Fantasy, and pessimists.
 
Until next time,
Rose 

No comments:

Post a Comment